By 2020, the BLS (Bureau of Labor Statistics) thinks there will be about 199,400 web developers and digital designers working in the US. By 2030, the BLS anticipates there will be around 224,900 people employed in this area.
As the number of Internet users increases, so does the demand for skilled web developers. The BLS forecasts continued expansion in the e-commerce industry, which could enhance the demand for web developers in the coming years. The demand for mobile web developers is anticipated to increase as mobile devices become more widespread.
Qualification period to become a web developer
Web development in this context refers to the process of creating websites. The initial stage in developing a website is for the team of developers to meet with the decision-makers. Then, they create a site's design, create wireframes, and begin coding. They work with other team members, like graphic designers, user experience (UX) designers, and search engine optimization (SEO) experts, to plan the site's structure, content, and visual design.
In two to four years of full-time study, a bachelor's degree in web development, computer science, or computer programming can be attained. This is the most difficult route into web programming. In four to six weeks, students can learn what they need to know in order to obtain a job as a web developer. Depending on how much time you spend on your studies, it could take anywhere from one month to many years to study web development using online courses.
Which languages are used for web development?
The advantages of acquiring expertise in Web development
- Opportunities for web developers are abundant. If you acquire web development skills, you will be qualified for these positions. You can find work in one of three distinct areas of web development: front-end, back-end, or full-stack.
- Programmers who specialize in creating websites typically earn a high salary. Consider that starting salaries tend to be lower than those of more experienced individuals.
- You are able to work remotely. Several businesses permit web developers to work remotely.
- Freelance web developers have a choice of potential career options. If you decide to start your own business, you may be your own boss, set your own hours, and complete all of your work remotely.
How to learn web development for free
It is not possible for everyone to attend either a bootcamp or a four-year college. The Internet is replete with free web development materials. The difficult part is knowing what and where to learn.
- Mozilla Developer Network (MDN)
- The Odin Project
- CSS Tricks
What are the responsibilities of a web developer?
Web developers are also responsible for the functionality and aesthetics of a website, such as its capacity to handle traffic loads and page loading speed. As a web developer, you have the choice of working for yourself on individual client projects or for a company or agency. The actual details of your daily work will vary depending on your area of employment, but may include the following:
- Designing user-friendly menus and interfaces.
- Using multiple types of media on a website.
- Web Application Assessment.
- Resolving issues with the user interface or functionality.
- Dealing with clients, designers, and developers.
How to start freelance web development
A degree is not necessarily required to secure a job as an entry-level web developer. Some web developers get degrees in computer science or web design that take two or four years to finish, while others learn the skills they need on their own. You might be more competitive if you have a degree, but a good portfolio is often a better way to get the attention of hiring managers. Consider the following possibilities if you're interested in learning web programming in six months:
1. Start developing your web development skills
Companies and clients usually need web developers to have certain skills to show that they can meet website needs. If you want to be a web developer for a living, these are some skills you can work on to set yourself up for success.
- Responsive design: Websites are viewed on a range of devices by their users. Web designers need to know how to make layouts that look good on both desktop computers and mobile devices.
- Technical SEO: The design of a website can have an impact on how well it performs in search engine results. Developers will benefit from knowing how search engines assign page ranks to websites.
- Version control: Instead of starting from scratch every time you run into an issue, you can utilize version control to keep track of any alterations made to your source code.
- Visual design: Learning the basics of design, like how to use white space, choose fonts, and use images, could help you sell more.
2. Pursuing a professional degree
If you are a student, you may choose to reevaluate your major selection in light of your long-term professional objectives (or think about getting a degree). People who are interested in back-end web development should look into getting a degree in computer science. If front-end development is your focus, a degree in web design or user experience (UX) may be more applicable.
3. Enroll in a web development and design course
4. Develop a portfolio highlighting your web development work
Your portfolio may be the most important aspect of your web developer job application. These projects demonstrate your ingenuity to prospective employers. List the project lots that most closely correspond to the work you intend to do. Annotate any code that you include to demonstrate your rationale.
5. Receive a certification
Certification can demonstrate to prospective employers that you possess the required abilities. There are numerous general and vendor-specific choices available, such as:
- Google Developer Certifications
- Adobe Certified Expert Certification
- Zend Certified PHP Engineer
- AWS Certified Developer - Associate
- Microsoft Certified: Azure Developer Associate
- Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA): HTML5
How much does freelance web developer make?
The typical yearly compensation for web developers in the United States is $78,300, according to the BLS (Bureau of Labor Statistics). Web engineers in the United States can earn up to $249,297 per year, according to Glassdoor salary data. The amount of money you earn will depend on several aspects, such as where you work, what you can contribute, and your level of skill.
Web developers are expected to have industry growth of 23% between 2021 and 2031, which is faster than the average for all other occupations. The evolution of e-commerce has increased the demand for web developers. Websites that can adapt to varying screen sizes and resolutions are becoming increasingly important to businesses.
How much does a web developer earn per month?
The average monthly pay of a web developer in the United States is $6,408 as of February 2023.
How much should I charge for freelance web development?
How much does a web developer cost? According to data compiled by Upwork, a web designer's average hourly fee is between $15 and $35. The average compensation for freelance web developers falls within the same range. But this might be increased if you offer online design and development services. $50 is the minimum hourly fee for freelancers that provide both services.
How to be a pro web developer
- Set the goals for yourself.
- Enroll in a course online.
- Identify your niche.
- Share your expertise.
- Motivate yourself.
- Learn various coding styles.
- Use tools for programming.
- Engage in open-source work.
- Management of time.
- Be flexible and open to criticism.
- Observe emerging trends.
- Use an analytical mindset.
- Study SEO tactics.
- Boost your interpersonal abilities.
- Improve your online portfolio.
How Do Freelance Web Developers Get Clients?
Developing your personal brand is a crucial first step in landing a job. Marketing your brand as a freelancer is actually just marketing yourself. You want to leave a lasting, favorable impression both in person and online. Consider the following suggestions in this regard:
- Consistency across your channels will help people find you online and recognize your personality.
- Create your channels to display your skills and dependability as a web developer.
- Ensure that each channel has access to your most recent contact details.
Following that, your portfolio website is perhaps the best resource for attracting clients. Nevertheless, that can only be done if your website is operational. So many developers make their websites showy and show off their web development abilities. Your website does more than just dazzle visitors; it also explains how to work with you. Moreover, make sure your CV, contact details, and portfolio are accessible to your clients so they can search, examine, and print them.
Where to find freelance web developers?
Because they are so popular and easy to use, they are a great resource for developers who want to find contract work.
Web developers are the real heroes behind the company's growth, since their work improves online sales for both businesses and consumers. Web developers will always have to help clients with their digital projects, but they may have to learn new skills to stay relevant. Opportunities abound in the computing business for anyone who can code or is studying web development. Recent figures indicate that there appears to be no slowing in the need for talented web developers.
At Techfye, we have a team of skilled web developers. In addition to producing markup and code for websites, our web developers are responsible for a variety of other responsibilities, such as those associated with e-commerce, content management systems, server and network security, and content delivery. Our web development services in Houston provide the best, customer-based services that distinguish us and rank us at the top.