- Backend web developer
- Backend web frameworks 2023
- Frameworks for backend development
- Popular web backend frameworks
- Web development backend frameworks
Businesses have recently seen a great deal of difficulty and change, and this pace won't slow down in 2023 because new trends are constantly appearing!
In these circumstances, you must ask yourself what the most important component of your company is that will keep you in the lead. Right?
It should go without saying that businesses require a successful web application for that, and they need back-end development for it! The integration of the technology necessary for web development has increased along with the competency of web applications, and frameworks are now a crucial component of that development. A web application has a frontend and a backend (server-side and client-side).
The front-end development work is appropriately integrated and delivered while taking into account the goals and vision of each project as it manages the business logic. Back-end web frameworks are some of the most important tools for programmers to use today.
The backend framework of a website is constructed using backend frameworks, which are collections of server-side programming languages. A software framework serves as a base for developers to create applications quickly and uniformly. A software solution's "backend," or "behind the scenes," focuses on the app's architecture and connects the front end and database. Even though user expectations and aesthetic preferences are increasingly taken into account when making software, the backend is what makes the product work.
How Do Backend Technologies Work?
The server side is referred to as the backend of a website. It organizes the data, keeps it current, and ensures the website's client side functions properly. You cannot view or access this portion of the website. Only a front-end application created by backend developers can give users access to backend capabilities and characteristics. Back-end development includes writing APIs, building libraries, and interacting with system components without using user interfaces or sophisticated programming languages.
Incredible Advantages of Using a Backend Framework
The most well-known backend framework offers benefits that go beyond merely making programming easier and faster. The quickest backend framework not only saves time and makes things easier for both experts and beginners, but it also offers the following:
- Security: A framework offers security in several ways. Your efforts to protect your application from external attacks and difficulties, as well as from crashes, slowness, and other undesirable elements, may result in a lower-quality application.
- Scalability: Frameworks are surprisingly flexible. Discover that you have chosen the best backend framework for your project. If so, you can keep using that framework as you build your web application, from the simplest to the most intricate.
- Integrations: Frameworks make integrations simpler because they give users access to pre-built tools.
What are the best 10 backend frameworks?
For a quick look, we've made a short list of the top ten back-end technologies.
A very well-known open-source backend framework based on the MVC (Model-View-Controller) design pattern is Laravel. It is a PHP framework renowned for its elegant syntax, ability to support enormous teams, and feature-rich modern toolkit. Additionally, although it handles all backend processes, its straightforward syntax gives developers a great deal of creative freedom. Laravel is one of the best options if you've been searching the web for a PHP backend framework.
Advantages of Laravel:
- It has a number of safety features and uses algorithms to make safe passwords.
- Laravel provides widgets other than PHP, such as CSS and JS code.
- It excels at creating complex projects.
- Laravel's easy-to-use interface, support for APIs, and large number of libraries make it easier to make safe, cutting-edge web apps.
Drawbacks of Laravel:
- It has been noted that, compared to other backend frameworks, Laravel's development speed is a little slower. Laravel might be more suitable for newcomers.
- Backend frameworks like Django and Ruby on Rails have more built-in support than Laravel does.
2- Ruby on Rails
Despite being slower than Python, Ruby is a well-known web development framework that many top companies like Airbnb, Fiverr, GitHub, and more use. In 2003, the Ruby on Rails framework for web development made its debut. Building web-based elements like forms, menus, and tables takes a lot less time when using reusable components. A list of some advantages of using Ruby on Rails is provided below. The Ruby on Rails framework is renowned for both its simplicity of use and its full-stack capabilities. The framework's main goal is to eliminate a lot of the tedious effort from the process of developing web apps, making it easier than ever before. The framework provides the infrastructure (components), allowing you to concentrate on the code, which is the most crucial component of your application.
Advantages of Ruby on Rails:
- Synchronization of data and real-time updates.
- Because it allows developers complete control over their projects and let them choose how the application database should operate, it is especially versatile and flexible.
- Due to its simplicity, Ruby on Rails can be the ideal option for newbies.
Drawbacks of Ruby on Rails:
- Rails does not have enough good developer documentation. It is especially challenging for coders to find helpful documentation for unpopular libraries and gems. That is why development teams usually go with a test suite as an alternative to documentation.
- Rails’ slow runtime speed makes it hard for users to work with a high-traffic application that uses this backend framework.
- RoR is not considered an ideal choice for unique types of projects because it is not very flexible and takes a lot of work to deploy and track them in a production environment.
Python-based Model-View-Template Framework Django is used to create websites. Several famous businesses, including Google, Youtube, and Instagram, employ this framework. A number of capabilities, like messaging and authentication, are part of Django's included features, which it proudly advertises. Python-based Django is an open-source web framework that employs the model-view-controller design principle. It specializes in creating intricate, database-driven websites. Django is the best option for you if having a high-performing website is your top priority. Developers can use the methods and resources provided by Django to create safe websites, or the framework itself incorporates security measures such as blocking code execution in the template layer.
Advantages of Django:
- It emphasizes SEO. This makes it easy to optimize and create SEO-friendly webpages.
- Django is a no-code framework. Programmers can use a number of packages without ever creating any code.
- One of the most popular backend frameworks, Django, is thought to be the best for building a website that works with a database.
Drawbacks of Django:
- Some developers don't think that Django is a good backend framework for small projects because it requires a lot of coding. This is because Django has some limitations.
- Another flaw in the Django framework is the lack of conventions. Lack of standards for developers results in a number of problems, including low comfort levels, contrasting components, and slow development rates.
- Because the Django framework is all one piece, development teams have less control over the workflow and can script more programs because they need to depend on fewer things.
4- ASP.NET Core
Advantages of ASP.NET Core:
- Only minimal code is needed.
- One of the best things about ASP.NET Core is that it improves performance, which makes it the best platform for backend development.
Drawbacks of ASP.NET Core:
- When compared to other backend frameworks, ASP.NET is quite expensive. To use this framework, you must have a Visual Studio, Windows, and SQL Server license. Similar to that, hosting companies also demand higher prices for this framework.
- If you make modifications to ASP.NET in one version, you won't be able to use those changes in the following release of this framework. It is challenging to maintain the changes while updating.
- In the absence of username notification, password reformation, and email verification, ASP.NET security is seen as being insecure. Most of the time, developers have to pay extra to get the protection their programs need.
It provides several fundamental framework features and also supports REST APIs and full apps, making it quite versatile.
Advantages of ExpressJS:
- Express takes pride in being a direct, efficient, and easy framework.
- It takes advantage of all JS functionalities. It won't be necessary to rely on separate front-end and back-end developers for the same reason. Using it will help you save a ton of time and money.
Drawbacks of ExpressJS:
- Many programmers don't like that ExpressJS doesn't have a defined body parser, which makes this backend architecture a safer choice.
- In terms of security, ExpressJS doesn't provide anything particularly significant, and it depends on how securely developers try to create their applications.
- JS is not the best middleware backend framework for large projects.
CakePHP is a model-view-controller framework for PHP that is object-oriented and focused on giving you the tools you need to create online applications quickly. CakePHP prioritizes standards over setup so that you can start working right away without having to make a lot of decisions up front. It is accessible under an MIT license and uses the MVC architecture.
Advantages of CakePHP:
- It can scale up quite well.
- It is suitable for straightforward, simple, or sophisticated projects.
- CakePHP is the most secure backend framework. If you know how to use the PHP backend framework, you can use its standard architecture to build your web app at any level.
Drawbacks of CakePHP:
- The majority of CakePHP users complain about the documentation's lack of help, but it still has a lot of potential for development.
- Upgrading from one version of CakePHP to another is genuinely difficult. When developers upgrade their projects from CakePHP version 2.x to version 3.x, this task gets difficult.
- Another disadvantage of using CakePHP is one-way routing. Additionally, this PHP framework does not offer default routes to support fancy URLs.
A WSGI (Web Server Gateway Interface) framework, Flask, operates the web server as opposed to the user's browser. Python-based Flask is a microweb framework, as it doesn't require any specific tools or libraries. Many contemporary applications use Flask because it enables them to build tailored projects that function without interruption. It makes it possible for extensions to add features that could make it look like they came with Flask.
Advantages of Flask:
- Using Flask makes setting up web servers simple.
- Because of it, you can easily create your Python application. Python is recognized for requiring less code for web development than other programming languages.
- Flask is simple to use for any developer, and it is the best back-end web framework for someone familiar with a Python-based framework.
Drawbacks of Flask:
- Large projects are not appropriate for Flask's Curbs and can be time-consuming.
- Flask receives less community support than another Python framework.
- A big problem with using Flask as a backend framework is that it doesn't have anything for admins and doesn't authenticate users when they log in.
8- Spring Boot
Spring Boot is a standalone, Java-based web framework that is ready for production use. It is open source and cost-free. It provides a robust, adaptable, and modular platform that enables you to create intricate enterprise-grade applications. You can start with the bare minimum of settings if the Spring configuration hasn't been fully set up. If you do this, your effectiveness will increase and your development time will decrease.
Advantages of Spring Boot:
- One of the best things about Spring is that it can scale well, thanks to the side projects it includes.
- With the help of this tool, setting up, configuring, and running web-based apps is made easier and quicker.
Drawbacks of Spring Boot:
- Less Controllable Spring Boot increases the size of deployment files and creates unexpected dependencies. This leads to the issue of having no control over an application.
- It might not be the best choice for developing monolithic programs.
- Beginners shouldn't use Spring Boot if they are not familiar with the Spring ecosystem and AOP (aspect-oriented programming).
Koa is a straightforward, open-source, and adaptable backend framework for NodeJS. Koa eliminates callbacks and significantly enhances error handling by utilizing async functions. It is free of any essential middleware and gives users access to a range of rapid server development options. The Koa web framework aims to provide a more lightweight, expressive, and dependable foundation for web applications and APIs.
Advantages of Koa:
- It allows quick application development, is scalable and adaptable, and can be fully customized.
- It is template-friendly and browser-focused to simplify rendering.
- This can be a great backend platform if you've worked with NodeJS before.
Drawbacks of Koa:
- Because Koa is a relatively new backend framework, there isn't much community support for it.
- This backend framework is incompatible with middleware like NodeJS. You must award ExpressJS more points when comparing it to Koa, in particular.
- Another disadvantage of using Koa is the lack of built-in routing. With this framework, developers often have to install a router individually.
Phoenix is a powerful web app platform that is an open-source framework created in Elixir and Erlang. It uses the Erlang VM and the Ruby-like Elixir programming language to create dependable, fault-tolerant applications. It lets the Cowboy server handle requests and responses and lets clients talk to each other in real time using WebSocket and channel-neutral channels.
Advantages of Phoenix:
- Web apps may be trusted to work with the backend.
- It makes it possible for multiple processes to run at the same time without interfering with each other.
- Users won't need to use third-party software or the complicated messaging system to keep cache layers in good shape.
Drawbacks of Phoenix:
- Phoenix is a very new back-end framework, and compared to Django, it has a small community.
- Despite having the tools needed to build an app using the Phoenix framework, the ecosystem is small. Due to its small population, however, its libraries and resources are still few.
- Because it's difficult to recruit Elixir engineers, businesses typically don't embrace the Phoenix framework. Additionally, beginners find it difficult to learn the Elixir language. Therefore, using the Phoenix framework to create server-side apps has the major disadvantage that developers are not always available.
What is the most popular backend framework?
Laravel is the most popular backend framework, according to statistics and data. Django is only marginally behind in the race for second.
What makes Techfye such a great backend framework development company?
Because they were created in well-known programming languages, the majority of these frameworks provide remarkable functionality and capabilities to construct your project. You must choose which server framework to use, and the ideal server environment will be determined by the particular needs of your project. Techfye can help you speed up your business with backend development services if you need expert assistance with the backend. You can now use the power of the newest backend technologies to get scalable performance and a design that works well.
The highly effective professionals on Techfye's astute back-end development team are dedicated to driving innovations and providing end-to-end back-end development services to businesses of all sizes. You can also get help from our dedicated back-end developers, who work in a clear and security-first way.
If you wanted to study a backend programming language, you might start by learning any of the languages on this list. The demand for several of these languages is tremendous, and they don't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon. Choosing a language to learn could be difficult with so many alternatives available. Select the one you find the most demanding and easiest to learn. Then familiarize yourself with a few of the associated frameworks. When you feel at ease with them, you can begin considering the other choices on this list.
Famous Use Cases
Instagram, Pinterest, Coursera
MySpace, GeekList, Storify
Deltanet Travel, MyRank,
Ruby on Rails
ZendDesk, Shopify, GitHub
Red Hat, Rackspace, Reddit
Microsoft, Godaddy, Ancestry
Trivago, Via Varejo, Intuit
Financial Times, Fox 10, ABC15